Excerpts from ~ Ramadaan 1435 Programmes
DOWNLOAD DISCUSSION HERE ~ 10 MINS
Taken from the book : DOWNLOAD HERE > Beautiful Sunnah of Beloved Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam
by : Shaikh ul Arab wal Ajam Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Saheb RA
Basic Sunnats Before Sleeping
1. It is substantiated from hadith that Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam rested at sometime or the other on the following : A mat made from palm leaves ~ A chatai (straw mat) ~ A mat made from cloth~ On the ground ~ On a wooden bed ~ On a bed ~ On skin and hide (Zaadul Ma’ad)
2. It is Sunnat to sleep in the state of wudhu (Abu Dawood)
3. Before climbing into bed, dust the bed thrice with the corner of your clothes. (Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi, Ibne Majah)
4. Before sleeping say :
and do the following :
> Close the door
> Put out the lamp
> Fasten the mouth of the leather water bag.
> Cover the utensils : It is mentioned in Muslim Sharief that there is one night in the year wherein plague descends. If this plague has to pass over any open utensil, then a portion of that plague definitely falls into it. (Muslim-Vol.2 Pg 171)
5. If one cannot find any thing with which to cover the utensil then one should place a stick across the top of the utensil. (Muslim-Vol.2 Pg 170)
6. It is forbidden to engage in story-telling after Esha. It is better to sleep immediately after salaah. It is permissible to remain awake for listening to lectures and advices and to earn one’s livelihood.
7. When going to sleep it is Sunnat to apply Surmah thrice in each eye for both males and females. (Shamaa’ile Tirmidhi)
8. Before sleeping recite some verses and some surahs of Qura’an Sharief, eg. Surah Faatiha, Aayatul Kursi, Surah Mulk, the four Quls and Durood Shareef. If one is unable to recite so much then at least recite a few surahs as this is the foundation for salvation in this world and hereafter.
9. Before sleeping, recite Tasbeeh Faatimah punctually i.e. SubhaanAllah 33-times Alhumdulilah 33-times and Allah hu Akbar 34-times
سُبْحَانَ اللهِ، والْحَمْدُ للهِ، وَاللهُ أَكْبَرُ
Subhaanallaahi, – Walhamdu lillaahi, -Allahu ‘Akbar.
Glory is to Allah (thirty-three times in Arabic) , praise is to Allah (thirty-three times) , Allah is the Most Great (thirty-four times)
(Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi)
10. Sleeping on the right hand side and facing Qiblah is Sunnat. (Shamaa’ile Tirmidhi, Abu Dawood-Vol.2, pg.332). To sleep with one’s chest facing the floor and back facing the sky is forbidden. (Tirmidhi-Vol.2, pg.105 – Abu Dawood-Vol.2, pg.331)
11. After lying down recite this dua:
بِاسْمِكَ رَبِّي وَضَعْتُ جَنْبِي، وَبِكَ أَرْفَعُهُ، فَإِنْ أَمْسَكْتَ نَفْسِي فَارْحَمْهَا، وَإِنْ أَرْسَلْتَهَا فَاحْفَظْهَا، بِمَا تَحْفَظُ بِهِ عِبَادَكَ الصَّالِحِينَ“
Bismika Rabbee wadha’tu janbee , wa bika ‘arfa’uhu, fa’in ‘amsakta nafsee farhamhaa, wa ‘in ‘arsaltahaa fahfadhhaa, bimaa tahfadhu bihi ‘ibaadakas-saaliheen.
With Your Name1 my Lord, I lay myself down ; and with Your Name I rise . And if my soul You take , have mercy on it , and if You send it back then protect it as You protect Your righteous slaves.2
(Bukhari-Vol.2, pg.935, Muslim-Vol.2, pg.349,Tirmidhi-Vol.2, pg.177)
12. Thereafter recite this dua:
اللَّهُمَّ بِاسْمِكَ أَمُوتُ وَأَحْيَا
Allahumma Bismika amutu wa Ahya
O Allah , In Your Name, I die and I live.
13. Before sleeping recite this Istighfaar thrice:
أَسْتَغْفِرُ اللَّهَ الَّذِي لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الْحَيُّ الْقَيُّومُ ، وَأَتُوبُ إِلَيْهِ
14. If one sees a frightening dream and one’s eyes open, sputter(to make a spitting sound) to the left thrice and recite thrice :
أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم
A`ūdhu billāhi min ash-shaitāni r-rajīm
Also change one’s position to the other side and sleep. (Muslim-Vol.2, chapter of dreams)
Basic Sunnats Upon Awakening
1.Immediately upon awakening rub the face and the eyes with both the palms in order to remove the effects of sleep. ( Shamaaile Tirmidhi )
2. When the eyes open in the morning recite this dua:
الْحَمْدُ للهِ الَّذِي أَحْيَانَا بَعْدَ مَا أَمَاتَنَا وَإِلَيْهِ النُّشُورُ
Alhamdu lillahil-ladhi ‘ahyana ba’da ma ‘amatana wa’ilayhin-nushur
All praise is due to Allah who brought us to life after having granted us death and to Him will we be resurrected. (Bukhari, Abu Dawood, Muslim)
3. When awakening from sleep cleanse the mouth with a Miswaak. (Musnad Ahmad, Abu Dawood- pg.8)
4. The use of the Miswaak should be repeated when making Wudhu. Using the Miswaak upon awakening is a separate Sunnat. (Bazlul Majhood,“Commentary of Abu Dawood” Vol.1 pg.35)
5. When wearing one’s trousers, first put on the right leg, then the left one. When putting on a kurta or shirt, first put on the right sleeve and then the left one. The same procedure should be followed when wearing a vest. When wearing a shoe, first put on the right shoe. When removing any garment or shoe, first remove the left, then the right.This is the Sunnat method when removing any garment from the body (Bukhari, Tirmidhi “ the chapter on clothing” and Shamaaile Tirmidhi )
6. Before immersing the hands into any utensils, wash them thrice thoroughly. (Tirmidhi – Vol. 1, pg. 13)
…. …. …..